OK, so this spawn didn't work out too well, either! Both pairs spawned, or attempted to, but then something happened between the spawn and hatch date. I think that the purple/white pair never actually got any eggs, which is a bummer. Either that or they ate them all, which is a bummer too. The green pair did get eggs....lots and lots of them!! And they took really good care of them together, too, surprisingly. (The female actually was helping) But then lots of the eggs disappeared and now I have about 5 or so fry. Almost not worth the effort! I'm getting so frustrated. I think that I'm going to try switching my bettas to distilled water. I think that the hard water is good enough for them to live in but not good enough for them to spawn and raise babies in. SO, I'll start buying spring (not distilled, on second thought....distilling takes out all the minerals) water and using that for their tanks. After a month or so of acclimation I'll try spawning them again. Hopefully the Ph change won't kill them...our water is so hard that it's no use doing it gradually. I've tried that. Somehow the neutral water takes on the Ph of our very alkaline (I think it's alkaline) water. So, I may have some very stressed, ill bettas for a few wks. They may not ever get over it! I think that this is worth a try though. I don't think I'll ever succeed if I don't do something with our water!! ;)
OK, well, when I have more news it will be on here!
~E
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I need help. My beta, Noble has not been moving for 3 days. He is NOT dead, I know that for a fact. But I am afraid he is sick. It is cold outside and chillly inside. Do you think he could be cold?
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Kathleen~
Yeah, he sounds sick all right! Yes, he could be cold....did the temp in his bowl change suddenly? Does he want to eat? Does he have white spots on him, or does he look fuzzy? What kind of fish medications do you have on hand? If I were you, this is what I'd do: scrub his bowl out with baking soda and vinegar, fill it with clean, dechlorinated (if that's a problem for you) water that is the same tempurature as his old water, acclimate him for 15 minutes, dump him back in, and then slowly warm his water up. To do that, simply move his bowl to a room that is warmer. Or, place him on top of an upside cookie sheet with a heating pad underneath placed on low. If you have any, put some fish antibiotic in his water.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry he's sick! I hope he gets well soon. :)
~E
Thanks for the help! Take a look at my blog @ www.dedicateddaughters.blogspot.com I blogged about him.
ReplyDelete~Kathleen